“The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.” ~Thomas Edison
These healthy zucchini brownies are not only delicious but are packed with nutrients and are gluten free, paleo, packed with superfoods, anti-inflammatory, deliciously fudgy, and the perfect way to bake with zucchini.
Feeling like decadent chocolate brownies without the guilt and stomach-ache after? Try these!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 12 brownies
1. 1 cup paleo (grain-free) baking flour - I used https://www.bobsredmill.com/paleo-baking-flour.html (can also use any alternative gluten-free flour (almond, coconut, oat)
2. 1/2 cup cocoa powder
3. 1 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips (dairy-free)
4. 1 tsp vanilla extract
5. 2 eggs
6. 3/4 cup coconut sugar
7. 2 cups grated zucchini
8. 1/4 tsp sea salt
9. 1 tsp baking soda
10. 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce (can substitute for 1 mashed banana or 1/4 cup coconut yogurt)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degreesF
2. In a big bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, salt and baking soda)
3. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla extract, apple sauce)
4. Slowly add wet bowl ingredients into dry bowl and mix (without over-mixing), add zucchini and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips after
5. Scoop mixture with a scapula or big spoon into a lightly greased (coconut oil good) 8 x 8 pan, and add remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top
6. Bake on 350degreesF for 35 minutes
7. Cool for 20 minutes, chop into brownies and enjoy! Keep in fridge for storage.
Enjoy these guilt-free, delicious brownies :)
These energy balls are a great healthy snack for the go, and take less than 10 minutes to prepare. They offer a satiating combination of fiber, protein, healthy fat and complex carbohydrates and are easy on the budget too!
In addition to being delicious and convenient, they are also great for gut health, especially constipation, with the added benefits of the chia seeds and prunes. Kids love them too!
*makes around 8-10 energy balls
1 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup prunes
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup almond milk
3 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp organic peanut butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Blend dates and prunes with 1/3 cup almond milk
2. Add rest of ingredients and blend until soft
3. Roll mixture into 8- 10 balls and coat with coconut flakes
4. Store in container in the fridge or freezer for at least 30 minutes until they harden
5. Enjoy :) The rest can be stored in the fridge or freezer.
Happy Hannukah! Celebrate the festival of lights this year with some delicious zucchini latkas; a nutritious, gluten-free, lower carb version of the traditional potato latkas. I love these because they remind me of the delicious potato latkas my grandma used to make us this time of year for Hannukah, with the added nutrition of zucchini. Plus, they only take about 15 minutes to make!
Often, with our busy lifestyles, it can be difficult to plan ahead healthy meals and snacks. Taking the time to enjoy our food is ideal but sometimes we need a snack to take on the go which is where energy bars or bites come in!
Some of you may have heard of or tried LaraBars which are sold at most health food and grocery stores and are great because they contain a minimal number of ingredients. I would love to share with you my own "Lara bites"! These bites are vegan, gluten free and contain lots of fiber, protein and healthy fats, leaving you feeling satisfied and energized!
This is one of my absolute favorite recipes and is super easy and fast to whip up! It's nutrient dense containing organic cacoa which is considered a super food due to it's high antioxidant capacity and bio-availability as well as avocado, a nutrient powerhouse known for it's high content of potassium and mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
Dr. Lara is a Naturopathic Doctor who is passionate about helping and empowering her patients in their journey towards lifelong health and wellness!
Natura Wellness Clinic
3885 Duke of York Blvd, suite 211
Phone: (905) 276-6800
Fax: (905) 276-6802
35A Hazelton Ave
Phone: (647) 560-4495
Fax: (647) 560-4285
Keep in touch with Dr. Lara