A health-related New Year’s resolution can be so powerful, whether it’s a goal to get stronger, give up a bad habit or lose some weight. Here are some tips to help create and sustain your health goal for 2017.
1. Make one resolution only. Making too many resolutions can be overwhelming and often hard to follow through with.
2. Make sure it’s your goal, not someone else’s. Ask yourself:
What’s one important thing I could be doing right now that I haven’t been?
3. Use SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time sensitive.
Some examples: Run a 5K race on May 7th, Consume 5 servings of vegetables every day until February 1st.
4. Be accountable to someone. Tell a friend or family member about your goal and ask them to check in with you. Also tell your ND about your new goal. Those who care about you want to help you succeed.
5. Make it visual. Write down your goal, use visual reminders to help keep them fresh in your mind (i.e. a bikini, or a photo of a time you were more physically fit or healthy, a marathon route you are planning to run). Keep these visuals around your living or office space as constant motivators.
6. Last but not least, reward yourself along the way. As you are working hard towards your resolution, treat yourself! Some ideas could be: a massage, a new fitness outfit, a new kitchen appliance, etc. Staying motivated requires some incentive.
Here's to a healthy and happy 2017 :)
Dr. Lara is a Naturopathic Doctor who is passionate about helping and empowering her patients in their journey towards lifelong health and wellness